Sunday, October 4, 2009

A new challenge

We got married back in March of this year. My husband is a foodie and one heck of a chef. He loves to cook, most times spending an additional 2 hours in the kitchen after a full work day. It's his hobby. I've been a pig in you -know-what as I am fed rich dishes rather often.
I, on the other hand, can follow a recipe like most monkeys but have just recently learned to use my senses to enhance dishes. It's a rewarding characteristic. But I believe it is my duty now, as a wife to an Indian-American, to learn how to cook Indian food. It gives me a challenge and will hopefully let me forget about any stress that may arise at work. And I will make my mother-in-law ever so happy, and there isn't anything wrong with that.

I've been reading The Hindi Bindi Club by Monica Pradhan. It is a sweet novel and is also filled with Indian recipes. The mothers in the book, all arriving in the US from India in the mid-to late '60s, add one or two recipes after their chapters, their daughters do the same. This past week as I indulged in pleasure reading, I began to crave Indian food. As our local restaurant, Royal India, usually can run $60+ for two of us, remember, husband is a foodie -there is little to stop him from eating, I realized the only way for us to eat like this is to make it ourselves. BLURGH!
A trip out to our local desi (day-shee) market, I picked up a few necessities. And yesterday I officially began this challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment